We wrote an article last year Start Daydreaming Now, to help you plan your future. It could be your future retirement or it could just be daydreaming about your next trip. Either way, I can definitely tell you that life in this COVID-19 new reality is making any kind of planning difficult.
For us, being homeless means that we need to plan where we will be sleeping a month or two into the future. We are currently having a really difficult time with that. Our current goals are as follows:
- Visit with Mike’s folks, we really don’t know when we can do that because they are both on strict lockdown.
- Visit with our friends.
- Not stay in expensive Silicon Valley for too long.
- Stay close enough to visit when we are able but someplace cheaper.
- Get back to France in the fall to proceed with our residency chores.
- Figure out a long-term rental in France for residency.
To us, roving retirement requires being nimble enough to roll with the inevitable challenges by shedding as many obligations as possible. We have successfully done that but now we have realized that have to continuously plan our travel and where we’ll sleep is way more time consuming than we thought.
We Still Spend Lots of Time Daydreaming
Frequently, we just sit down with our favorite beverage and daydream about the places we want to go and the things we want to see. Right now the daydreams are a little cloudy because we don’t know what we will actually be able to do and when, but we still add wishes to our list. Our list already includes all of the things that already got canceled this year like the Maldives, our summer in Spain, and late fall in Africa.
Here are some suggestions/prompts to jumpstart your own daydreaming sessions:
- Start with areas where your interests align with your SO.
- Dream big. What would be really great?
- Want to visit Italy? For a week, for a month, a year?
- What would you do if you did stay in Italy that long?
- How would you pass the time? At the beach, museums, language, or cooking school?
- All of the above?
None of knows when things will open up again but I certainly want to be ready and I’m sure there will be awesome deals to take advantage of.
What is on your wish list?